Thursday, May 1, 2008

Time To Get Organized!


For some reason, I cannot keep my craft room organized. It seems like every time I turn around, it is a mess. What usually happens is this, I wait until the last minute to start crafting for my shows in the fall. Then I work like a mad woman to get things done and somehow, nothing gets put away like it should. That and the fact that I am always at the craft store buying more supplies(I can’t turn down a sale item!), and I am running out of room to put things.

The craft closet(I am sure OSHA would declare this a hardhat area.)


I definitely need to get it organized. I can’t work in such a mess and there are some things I would like to do(like finding my sewing machine). I have been procrastinating since the first of the year. In the meantime, I learned to shop victoriously online adding to my ever growing pile of stuff(I always think of George Carlin’s bit about stuff.)


My craft table(my sewing machine is there somewhere)



I thought maybe if I published pictures of my messy craft room that would give me some incentive to get it cleaned. The plan is to try to do a little bit each day. That way, maybe it won’t seem like such a daunting task. Now my problem is, where do I start.


There is a scroll saw way back in that corner.....somewhere.

A closeup of a couple of shelves in the notorious closet.

I am going to try to post updates every so often to show my progress. Hopefully this is the push I need to get me going. Wish me luck!

Have a great day everyone!

12 comments:

Arlette said...

Joyce, good luck with your endeavor. You're a brave girl to post pictures of your craft room. Mine looks just like yours. I was thinking just this morning about how I wished that my craft room would just break away from the house and float away never to be seen again. That would give me the opportunity to start over again without having to sort through the massive amount of stuff that I have.
Okay, I will hold you accountable now that you have set your goals. I'll be here to cheer you on.
Happy Cleaning!
Aloha!

sweetiepie said...

Lettie - Thank you for your support. I am going to get started just as soon as I find my hard hat!

The Southern Mom said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the comment on my blog. Okay...at least you have a craft room...hopefully, I'll be getting one, too...as soon as my son moves out to go to grad school! I looked at your post before this one...I love banana bread, but can't seem to find a good recipe...this may be the one!

sweetiepie said...

Thank you for your comment, Southern Mom. I really like that banana bread recipe and it is so easy.

wendy said...

being in a 2 bedroom apt. w/ 2 adults and 2 kids..i have a tall shelf thing w/ my crafting supplies..so i actually can't have "stash" but buy as I need. I mean I do have some stash..but..you know. lol..thanks for you comments on my stitching!

sweetiepie said...

Wendy, it is probably a good thing you are limited on space. That way things can't get out of hand. I seem to have a weakness for craft supplies because I haven't found a craft I don't like.

Niesz Vintage Home said...

I know what you're going through.
I get overwhelmed at times trying to organize so much stuff in such a small room.
I really want those people from Mission Organization to come and visit me. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

You've got quite a job ahead of you. I'll be sure to check back to see the progress.

Kimberly :)

Katherine said...

Best of luck with organizing, Joyce. I find that when I'm facing this task I have more success doing just parts of it at a time so I don't get too overwhelmed. Smart idea to take before pictures and I look forward to seeing your in progress pictures too!

Arlette said...

Hey girl...how are you doing? I'm hoping that you'll be reporting progress real soon. I can't wait for the "after" pics.
Aloha!

Netter said...

Well, to be honest, my craft area was looking a lot like yours. However, two months ago, we had to have some work done, which meant stuff had to be shifted, then the whole room had to be painted....which meant I had to move all that stuff. We stuck it all in another room then I replaced everything bit by bit and organized it. I even put labels on the boxes, shelves, and drawers. It won't last long...but every once in a while its nice to try, right. Its a good thing you are taking this upon yourself before someone gets an intervention together. Good luck!

Netter said...

Well, to be honest, my craft area was looking a lot like yours. However, two months ago, we had to have some work done, which meant stuff had to be shifted, then the whole room had to be painted....which meant I had to move all that stuff. We stuck it all in another room then I replaced everything bit by bit and organized it. I even put labels on the boxes, shelves, and drawers. It won't last long...but every once in a while its nice to try, right. Its a good thing you are taking this upon yourself before someone gets an intervention together. Good luck!

Oakleaf Hollow Primitives said...

Hi Joyce!
I am julie from Oakleaf Hollow. I also took the plunge and posted my messy craft room on Hazelruthes blog.
From one brave soul to another, I love your crafty mess. At least we can see your wallpaper. So very pretty!
Another thing that we have in common besides "creative" craft rooms is that I was married in '71 also! 3 grown daughters and one granddaughter.

Please take a peek ay my "mess" when you can!

http://www.OakleafHollow.blogspot.com

Nice to meet you!
julie