Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Recycle, Reuse, Repurpose!

I seem to be making a real effort to clean my craft room. Although I have threatened to do this before, I think since I actually published pictures of my mess, it has given me the incentive I need to really dig deep and get it done.

It is funny the things you find that you totally forgot you had even though they have been sitting there in plain sight for something like 20 years. One wall I didn’t picture in my previous post has my copy machine which rests on top of my old console stereo. It seemed like a good place to put it at the time because I no longer used that stereo, one of the speakers was out and I think the needle for the record player needed replaced.







After some rearranging, I found a new home for my copier and since I sold all my record albums at a garage sale last year, I found I no longer had a use for this stereo which was taking up precious space. I hate to send things to the landfill. Although it is of no use to me doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t be thrilled to have it. The am/fm radio still worked and the cabinet itself was in good shape. After all, they no longer make turntables to play old vinyl albums anymore. Maybe it could be restored to its original 1969 condition.


So now what? I thought about putting it on eBay, but I really didn’t want to hassle with trying to ship it. I really didn’t care about getting money for it. That is when I remembered a website my neighbor had told me about.


This is the Freecycle Network. It is a global network with the sole purpose of bringing owners of unwanted items together with people who have a use for these items. Here is an excerpt from their webpage:


Welcome! The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,353 groups with 5,055,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free. To sign up, find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on “Browse Groups” above the search box. Have fun!


I suggest you take the time and check out this website. Always remember to recycle, reuse and repurpose.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Arlette said...

Good job! I know how difficult it can be to purge our lives of things that we've had for many years, but sometimes it is just plain necessary. Keep chipping away at it and it will all be worth it in the end. Can't wait to see the end result!
Aloha!

Netter said...

Freecycle, huh...I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll check it out. I usually look around on Craigslist. They have some fun stuff on there.

You know, they do make record players...they are just hard to track down. My Mom bought a new one a few years ago. She's got every album that Elvis ever recorded and there was no way she was parting with them...plus, we MUST play the Beach Boys Christmas Album every year, sure they make it on CD's but it sounds better on the old record machines.

Funny side note...Your wall paper is the same wall paper that my Grandma and Grandpa had in one of their upstairs bedrooms. I got all excited when I saw it, it was like a walk down memory lane. That was the room my tea cup set and giant doll was stored. I used to go up there and drag all that stuff back down...but their wooden steps were super steap and narrow. I'll never forget the time I took a spill and bounced, head over foot down the stairs and landed on the doll, saucers spinning around me. It hurt like crazy but I didn't start crying until my Mom, who was sitting at the table looked over at me and said, "What did you do that for?" She thought I jumped on the doll from a few steps up instead of falling from the second to the top step. OUCH!

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Ya know, I've heard of freecycle, but I didn't really know what it was all about.

Sounds like a great idea, though. I'll have to check it out.

Kimberly :)